The outdoor season runs from April until September, and consists of:
- Weekly practices at Preston Park (or sometimes Dyke Road Park, check the Calendar) in Brighton: Every Wednesday from April, starting at 6pm and lasting until the light fades. In each practice we do a bit of a warmup and some drills to learn and improve our playing skills, and then we jump into a game. Afterwards we retire to a pub nearby (currently the Open House) for a drink or two and maybe some food. This is the chance for you to just turn up and start playing, whether you are complete rookie or a seasoned pro. Check the calendar and get in touch to come and give it a go! (Cost per practice: £3 (£2.50 unwaged); cost for whole season: £55. This pays for field hire and equipment.)
- The Brighton & Hove Softball League: We are terribly excited to announce that this year, for the first time in history, there will be a local softball league Brighton & Hove! The League will start with 4 teams:
- The Bright Sox, made up of Brighton Beachcombers Softball Club players
- The Black Sox, also made up of Brighton Beachcombers Softball Club players
- Hove Tuesday (founded in 2010)
- Brighton Blaggards (a brand new team we’ve been training up over the winter).
(Price per game: £3 (£2 unwaged). This pays for field hire and umpires.)
- Tournaments all over the UK: These are 1- or 2-day weekend tournaments where teams from different divisions and leagues all over the country get together for some intense softball – there’s nothing like playing 6 games in a day! Check the calendar for more details. (Cost: approximately £10-£12 per day. This pays for tournament entry fees.)
- Socialising! The practices, the missed balls, the drinks afterwards, the travelling, the camping, the tournament parties… it’s what we’re here for, it’s what makes the game special. (Cost: mine’s a cider).